Knights Ferry Raft Rental
The closest summertime rafting to the San Francisco Bay Area and Central Valley! You'll be surprised that such an entertaining river is located so close to home. The trip is wildly popular with experienced and inexperienced paddlers, especially on the weekends. This is due to the Stanislaus River's beautiful scenery, easy but fun rapids and ripples, great swimming holes and its close to home! This float trip is approximately 8 miles long and is ideal for families, church and business groups, as well as boy scouts and other civic organizations. Trip is 3-5 hours total time.
What does a day with River Journey Adventures include?
- High quality raft(s) or kayak(s), lifejackets and paddles. We fit your group in 4, 6, 8 or 10 man rafts.
- Fun staff who also live and play on the Stanislaus and a professional safety orientation.
- Return shuttle and FREE parking on Mon-Thurs! (Since we are local and meet you at our River Store on most weekdays)
- Free usb drive with your group's photos (must be picked up at our river store)
- Since we are the locals favorite you get a discount at the Knights Ferry Ice Cream Parlor.
- Concerned about your valuables? (that you forget to leave at home) We also are the only company to provide each reservation with a small dry box.
- Beautiful riverside resort for our catered BBQ trips and overnight camping trips.
- A Fun Day on a Beautiful River!
Great price for 3-5 hours on the river, outside with family and friends!
Your day with River Journey Adventures begins in the old gold mining town of Knights Ferry. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will set you up with the proper equipment (lifejackets, paddles and raft) and go through a complete safety orientation before your trip begins. Just load your cooler into the raft and off you go on your own adventure on the beautiful Stanislaus River. Here is a typical day on the river:
9:00,10:00 or 11:00AM - Weekends: Check in at the Knights Ferry Rafting Customers Parking Area and look for the red River Journey Tent- 18050 Sonora Road. Weekdays: Check in at our river store in downtown Knights Ferry at 10am or 11am- 17624 Sonora Road, Knights Ferry, CA
30 minutes - After gearing up for the trip and a safety orientation you will board the rafts. Our guides will prepare the equipment and begin a safety talk for all participants. Then our staff helps launch you on your self-guided adventure.
Mile One - Trip departs on river. The first half mile serves as a nice warm-up with several fun riffles. You'll then come to "Russian Rapid" a 200 yard long class 2 rapid that is the biggest thrill of the day. Smile for your photos! After running this rapid you'll come across a few calm pools with clear water and stunning scenery.
2- 3 hours later Stop at Horseshoe Bend Park to eat your lunch alongside the river.
30 minutes later - You'll head downstream into another scenic section of the trip.
2:30PM-5:00PM - Take-out at Orange Blossom boat ramp and a short ride back to your car. We will have your free photos available to pick up in our river store in Knights Ferry on weekdays and weekends. Come by after your trip and enjoy an ice cream while you purchase d river souvenirs. Our lower Stanislaus trips usually provide lots of good stories and memories for our guests!
Weekends: meet us at the Knights Ferry Rafting Customers Parking Area (18050 Sonora Road, Knights Ferry, CA 95361) and look for the red River Journey Tent- google map directions here.
Weekdays: meet us at our Knights Ferry River Store (17624 Sonora Road, Knights Ferry, CA 95361 park next to the building)- google map directions here.
Frequently asked questions
* When is the best time of the year to go on a Stanislaus River rafting tour?
The Stanislaus River has rafting nearly year round but our trips run from April through October. Early season has the best water flows.
* Do I have to know how to swim well?
We require that all participants must be able to swim. We do provide high quality lifejackets. We ask that they are worn at all times. If you cannot swim we recommend our guided trips.
* Will I need a wetsuit?
No, spring, summer and fall rafting on class II rivers does not require a wetsuit.
* What should I bring?
You need to bring shorts, swim suit, t-shirt, foot protection (old tennis shoes, booties or sport sandals), and a dry set of clothes for your ride home. Everything that you wear will get wet so plan accordingly. Please do not bring valuable items (i.e. expensive clothes or shoes, jewelry, non-waterproof cameras or other items) on the raft.
For camping trips bring all the camping equipment you need (even the kitchen sink if required) since our Stanislaus River campground has drive-in camping. We have lists of equipment recommended for all trips on our "what to bring" page for each trip. Do not bring pets to any of our trips.
* Is lunch provided?
Lunch is not provided on this trip
* How often do trips on the Stanislaus River run?
We run trips seven days a week from April through October on The Stanislaus River.
* How many people go with each trip?
During midweek we have smaller sized groups and the rivers are generally less crowded making the solitude of the trip much better than on weekends. On weekends we generally book out so make your reservations as soon as possible. Sundays are usually less crowded than Saturdays. Early and late season are less busy than prime season. We can fit up to 8 people in each rafts although we do have a few 10 man rafts available.
* What if the weather is bad?
We will run in any condition of weather or may give everyone the option to take a rain-check credit if the weather is extremely unpleasant at the check-in point. After April, the weather is usually perfect for rafting.
* Can we request a guide?
If we have at least 1 week notice we will make every effort possible to schedule a guide for an extra charge.
* Is there a limit on what we can take?
The rafts can hold one medium sized cooler. Oversized and wheeled coolers will not be allowed.
* Can we still raft if we have young children (under 5 years)?
Due to the high river levels expected in 2017 the Knights Ferry section is for ages 7 and up. Our Oakdale section is available for groups with kids ages 5 and up.
What to Bring
All of our trips include your raft, lifejacket, and paddle for each person. Shuttle ride and safety orientation also included.
THINGS TO BRING:
· Change of clothes and towels for after the river that you leave in your car
· Swimsuit/ shorts/hats
· Tennis shoes, sports sandals or wetsuit booties.
· Sunscreen and lip ointment
· Drinks and food for on the river (plastic bottles and cans only NO GLASS ALLOWED) in a MEDIUM size cooler only. NO COOLERS LARGER THAN 50 QUARTS ALLOWED!
THINGS NOT TO BRING:
- Dogs or other animals
- Fishing poles
- Large coolers- you will not be allowed on the trip if our staff deems your cooler to be to large.
- Anything you don’t want to get wet
- Glass Bottles- they will be confiscated
EXPENSIVE ITEMS. YOU WILL BE PARKING IN A PUBLIC PARKING AREA. EVEN THOUGH IT IS PATROLLED BY THE PARK RANGERS THE PARKING AREA IS NOT WATCHED ALL THE TIME. RIVER JOURNEY ADVENTURES AND ITS AFFILIATES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS.
Camping & Lodging
Places to stay near the Stanislaus River
Knights Ferry has only one campground that is run by River Journey and is exclusive for our rafting guests only. (Regardless of what the internet says as Knightsferrycamping.com does not exist anymore.) Please call for reservations.
Lodging is available in Oakdale, California which is about 10 miles away. We are a one hour drive from Yosemite National Park which provides camping and lodging in a spectacular setting.
* Stanislaus River Campground - Knights Ferry
* Yosemite National Park Camping
* Holiday Inn - Oakdale
Trip Details4, 6, 8 man Raft Rentals
Trip Length: 1 Day
Minimum Age: 7 yrs
Average trip 3-5 hours. Bring your lunch and drinks in a medium sized cooler only. Weekday check in time of 11am and weekends are9 , 10, or 11am. We have different sizes of rafts that we will fit to your group. Don't be late!