We at River Journey Adventures want to make sure that your day is as fun and relaxing as can be. Here are many of the common questions we are asked.
For 2021: What are you doing in response to the COVID19 pandemic? Our updated rules regarding the pandemic can be found here: https://www.riverjourney.com/why-choose-us.html We are taking precautions to limit the exposure of any of our guests, as well as our employees. We are lucky in that there are a number of ways for us to shift operations to accomodate rafters while keeping the risk factor very low!
1. Where do we meet? Put in the coordinates: 37.8166 -120.667
2. What can we bring? We recommend leaving towels and extra clothes in your car for the end of the trip. Some common items people bring are: sunscreen, water and snacks, a small ice chest (they fit easily on the raft), sunglasses that either have a leash or that you do not mind losing, a hat or visor, and clothing that can get wet.
3. How old do children need to be to participate? Children need to be 5 or older to participate on rafting trips at normal flows. Children need to be 10 or older to participate on kayaking trips.
4. Do we have to share our boat? How many people in a boat? No, since this is self-guided, you do not share boats. Each boat fits up to 8 people total.
5. What is required to participate?
This trip is designed for people in good health. Although the trip is mellow enough for a wide range of ages, it is still an outdoor activity, and as such, there is always a certain element of risk present. For this reason, we reserve the right to turn away any participants we deem unfit (although this is highly unusual). Reasons one may be turned away are outlined below.
This is a class I and class II (usually on the easier end of class II) river. The river rafting rating system goes as follows:
Class I:Moving water with a few riffles and small waves. Few or no obstructions.
Class II:Easy rapids with smaller waves, clear channels that are obvious without scouting. Some maneuvering might be required.
This is not whitewater rafting. This is much more on the mellow, scenic, and relaxing end of the rafting spectrum!
7. What is the parking situation? Are there parking fees? Parking is $5 per car at the Knights Ferry Recreation Area, payable at the kiosk near check in. This fee goes to the Army Corps of Engineers, who manage the public parks.
8. What if I need to cancel? What do I do?
Please understand that when we accept your reservation that we are planning for staff and provisions and are holding a space on your trip, often turning away others.
Cancellations within 14 days of a trip will receive no refund.
Cancellations outside of 14 days of a trip are eligible for a refund.
Full refunds result if River Journey Adventures finds it necessary to cancel a trip due to unforeseen hazards. Trips usually run rain or shine.
9. Can we bring a cooler? Yes you may bring ONE medium size cooler per raft under 60 quarts.
10. Can we bring alcohol? For now alcohol is allowed (no glass!) but we recommend that you do not drink on the river as this is an outdoor activity that you must be in control of, not a Disneyland ride. Alcohol is not allowed when flows go above 1000CFS.
11. Where do we finish? Our trips run from Knights Ferry to Orange Blossom Park, a total of ~8 miles, and 3-5 hours in length.
12. How do I redeem my discount coupon? If you have a discount coupon, call us at 209-847-4671.
13. When do we start? On weekdays we start between 10AM and noon and on weekends we start between 9AM and 1:00PM. This is a 5+ hour activity sometimes, so be prepared for a full day on the water.
14. I have a family group. When is the best time to go? Of course we recommend weekdays as the crowds are a lot smaller. On weekends we definetly recommend the 9:00 start time as the larger groups and the river itself becomes more crowded at the 10am and 11am time slot.
15. How quickly do you sell out? We operate by permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers and can only launch so many rafts per hour and per day. Our weekends sell out 1-2 weeks in advance during the summer. We recommend checking our calendar page for availability and booking your trip as soon as you know a date. A quote request does NOT guarantee a reservation.
Plan a new tripStart a Reservation